Saturday, March 3, 2012

Take a Look Back

th quaint ways. My mother recalls Ant Sue was an avid reader. She wore her shoes on the right foot one week and then reversed the order, so she would not run them over. Joe’s sons Fredrick served in the war in 1918. He returned home alive and made his home in Pembleton, NC. He had one daughter Effie. I remember visiting there home in the 50’s. Solomon was a burley but short man of outspoken character. He was a farmer and father of 13. Uncle John was a spiritual man with a powerful singing voice. I can close my eyes and see him walking down the aisle shaking hands and sing in long metre the songs of Zion. There would not be a dry eye in the sanctuary. His 13 sons and daughters proudly share our heritage. John farmed also. Aggie my grandmother shared our great-grandmothers profession as Nurse Practitioner/Mid-wife. Aggie and Malachi Sharpe had 5 living children. They farmed in the shadows of Hertford County between Aulander and St, John, NC. Malachi Sharpe was from Poe Town just outside Aulander.
My mother recalls her mother taking the wagon to the ferry to deliver babies across the color barrier. Her fee was $5.00. I am told that sometimes she was paid with chickens or other farm produce. My grandfather Malachi also farmed and had a smoke house, pigs, cows and the whole old McDonald scenario. From that generation forward we are proud family of farmers, physicians, teachers, deacons and ministers . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

No comments: